Wednesday, February 15, 2012

She's Growing Up

It's no secret that being social is not one of Tennyson's strongest qualities. It's difficult to fit play dates into her already packed schedule. Most of her closest friends are the therapists she sees every week. She gets excited when she hears them knock on the door, and I always try to take her with me when I answer it so she can see who has come to see her. It's really sweet.

She has been through a lot of not-so-fun stuff in her 2 years. So I don't blame her for having some anxiety when it comes to new people and strangers. But the time has come to help her learn she can be safe and have fun with people other than Mom and Dad.

Last week we began respite care! Respite care is more for me I guess, but she benefits as well by making a new friend who just wants to hang out and play with her. The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) through the Army provides the service...but let me tell you, it's a miracle we persevered through the paperwork and hoop jumping. I started the paperwork last September! That's right - SEPTEMBER. There were forms for me to fill out and forms for her doctors to fill out, records that needed to be requested, and when we finally had the paperwork complete, there was a home visit. After the home visit, a recommendation was made and then her file went before a panel who had to approve it. Then we were put on a waiting list for a month! Last week we finally started with our respite care nurse. I was nervous Tenny would cry and be scared of a new person, but she couldn't be happier with her new friend. And that makes this mama SUPER HAPPY :) I was sure it was going to take a few weeks for Tenn to warm up to someone new, but she was blowing her kisses the minute she walked in the door. She always surprises me.

We get 8 hours a week of respite care, so I've split that up over 2 days. My laundry is done (and put away!). My dishes are clean (and put away!). I can take a shower longer than 5 minutes. I can sew without interruption. It's like a dream come true! Seriously, it's crazy how much I can get done in those 8 hours!

We also got a phone call last week letting us know a spot had opened up for Tenn to go to pre-school 2 days a week. This pre-school has half typically developing kids and half special needs kids in each classroom. We accepted the invitation and are going through the process to get everything set up for her to attend. So far, it looks like her respite care nurse will go with her to school so she can have an aide with her while she's there. I hope she does well and enjoys being around kids her age. Even thinking about her being in school makes me emotional. I have been with her every single day of her life! I can't believe that she is getting big enough to go to pre-school. It just blows my mind. But knowing she will have someone there that can be her voice and make good decisions on her behalf makes me feel better.

So she will go to school. School is something I want for her. But what I also know is that she will most likely at one time or another be made fun of. For not walking, for not talking, maybe for having a small head, for wearing glasses, or for wearing braces on her legs, for having to sit in a different chair that supports her body. That part terrifies me. Maybe I shouldn't worry about 2 year olds being cruel...maybe I have a few more years before I really have to worry about that....

I guess I always imagined her older and bigger before she started pre-school. This afternoon I watched a friends 4 month old (adorable!!!) little boy and I realized that my baby is not a baby anymore. She's growing up!

I feel like we are making a good decision for her. I think it will be great for her to just get to be a kid!

Tenn and her future BFF Evie :)


email me at tennsense@gmail.com

Amy

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy we made the decision to enroll Imani in school. It has made a world of a difference for her development in all areas. I hope having the nurse with her helps in easing the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, that is what I am hoping for as well. I think having the nurse with her will make her more comfortable. I know it makes me feel better :) I think she's ready to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love the photos! My little boy is two and we just got respite after starting process last sept! Have started also to think about school/nursery for him as he needs to mix with other kids. Like tenny, his nurse will go with him. Can relate to everything in your post, particularly your concerns. Funny the things we do with respite, I also put away washing and washed windows, ha ha x

    ReplyDelete