Thursday, October 18, 2012

Surgery Update - Day Three

We are home!

Tenn slept great last night. Our nurse stayed on top of her pain medicine and it made a huge difference. She fell asleep around 10:30pm and woke up at 8:00am. The night nurse had blond hair, that was pulled back in a ponytail, so I think she thought it was me each time the nurse came in to take vitals. She fell right back to sleep each time.

The doctors came in at 5:30am for rounds (seriously, who functions that early!?), and said she could go home. Her discharge orders were in by 9:00am, but we still had to wait for a special carseat (called a "Hippo" by Britax) to be delivered.

Tenn was really annoyed by anyone and everyone who came into our room today. To be honest, so was I. We were both ready to get out of there.



The carseat came, and then we were upgraded to an even bigger wheelchair so the carseat could fit in it. Awesome. I wish I would have taken a picture of them wheeling her out. However, it didn't seem appropriate to take a picture of her crying, and I wanted to get the heck out of there.

I had anticipated leaving in the afternoon right after my doctors appointment, but then they handed me her discharge orders - with paper prescriptions for pain medicine.

{short backstory} - Last week, I called her doctors office to get her pain medicines filled ahead of time so I would have them when we went home. The nurse assured me we would be sent home with them. This has never happened. Ever. We have never been given meds to go home with. We always get scripts to take to our pharmacy after she gets home from a hospital stay. I guess it was too good to be true. I should have asked about this yesterday, so our pharmacy could have had the meds in stock for us. Lesson learned. Oh well.

I called our pharmacy to see if they had them in stock, but of course, they didn't. So I had to go have them filled at the hospital pharmacy. We didn't leave the hospital until 6pm.

Tenn was exhausted and slept the entire car ride home. She woke up when we pulled in the driveway. I said, "We're home!", and she gave me a big smile.



Amy

tennsense@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment